Saturday, November 24, 2012

Stuffed Peppers & Thanksgiving! (Day 5)

Wow! The Thanksgiving rush put me a little behind, but I'm still cooking. My sister cooked dinner for us before Thanksgiving (chicken Parmesan, yum!), and Thanksgiving was the next day so my cooking schedule was thrown off a bit. But, as promised, I'm writing about my stuffed peppers while dinner #7's green beans and potatoes boil.
So, stuffed peppers. Very different. I've never had stuffed peppers before, but it turns out that they are pretty easy. 

The recipe. I left out the Worcestershire sauce because it didn't seem important, and I don't have any.

Boil the peppers. The recipe called for 4, but 2 was enough for us.
The meat, cooked rice, onion and mashed tomatoes. This didn't take long.

Fresh out of the oven.

I served with black beans and red peppers.
My husband and I enjoyed this one, but I'll be honest, it wasn't my favorite. Rory was a huge fan, but I wasn't completely sold. There wasn't enough flavor for me. I had to add quite a bit of cayenne pepper before I was happy with it. However, they were filling. The picture above was all I ate, and I had Rory eat the last few bites. They saved amazingly, though! I think they were better the next day for lunch to be honest.

Taste: 5. Honestly, not what I expected. I thought it would be a flavor fiesta, and maybe I built that up to much in my head, because the finished product left me a little cold. But adding a bit of seasoning helped it out.
Simplicity: 8. They were pretty easy and clean-up was a dream. I only used three pans. The only thing you have to cut up is the onion and peppers, otherwise you're just steaming rice and browning beef. Easy!
Overall: 8. Their simplicity carried the almost-boring flavor. I would make them again during the school week because they were so easy. Don't get me wrong, they didn't taste bad. Rory thought they were great. . .I just wanted more kick.
Anyways, we had a great Thanksgiving. My in-laws served tri-tip beef instead of traditional turkey and that was okay with me. The beef was amazing and it's fun to eat different meats instead of turkey on thanksgiving. They also served mashed potatoes and gravy, brussel sprouts and jello (hey, we're LDS.)  The apple sweet potatoes and spinach & artichoke dip went over great too! *Sigh of relief*

No comments:

Post a Comment