Thursday, November 15, 2012

Need something filling? (Day 2)

Oh man, Dinner #2 was the most filling thing I have ever cooked! Even Rory was stuffed after one helping and that, my friends, never happens. He still polished off my serving, but he was filled.
Dinner #2 was Baked Chicken and Rice with Lava Rock Potatoes.
Baked chicken and rice may sound ordinary, but I guarantee that this dish was one of the most flavorful and interesting dishes I've ever cooked.
I'm sorry, I don't know how to flip these pictures. Anyway, it's fast to take a picture of the recipe rather than copy it word for word.



I used two chicken breasts and cut them in half. It was plenty for two.
Here is the dressing you put over the browned chicken and cooked rice. It consists of cream of mushroom, dry soup/dip onion mix and sour cream. Yum!


Brown the bacon and add potatoes, onion and water. Make sure the bacon is cooked to your liking because it doesn't cook once you add water! Simmer until potatoes are tender.

As delicious as this was, it didn't photograph too well. Sorry about that.

It was great! We loved everything about this meal. I also bought a sourdough jalapeno flute (from Albertson's) to go with it. We had a lot of leftovers and I'm looking forward to serving it again!

Rating:
Taste: 10. Everything came together wonderfully. It's not because I added anything special: I followed the recipe to the letter.
Simplicity: 5. You're going to have to reserve an hour and a half for the whole thing. (If I just did the chicken, I would rate it a 7.) You've got to do several things at once: the chicken, the rice, the bacon, chop veggies. . .so there's quite a bit of juggling. The good news is, you can use the same pan twice: once for the chicken, wash it really quickly and use it for the bacon and potatoes. While the chicken and rice takes an hour to bake, you've got to put your entire focus on the lava rock potatoes. But once you brown the bacon and cut the veggies, it pretty much takes care if itself.
Overall: I'm proud of the outcome on this one. I don't know if I would cook it during a school week unless I had a lot of downtime. This is a great meal for when you have company because it's so filling and flavorful. My own meals never make me feel totally full, but this one did. Very satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment