Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cooking for a Guest! (Day 4)

It's been a few days, but I assure you that I have been cooking. I only have time to post one of them tonight.
Two nights ago, we invited our neighbor from upstairs for dinner since his wife is out of town for Thanksgiving. I usually like to cook recipes I'm already familiar with for company, but our guest came over during my challenge which means...new recipe! Luckily it was a hit!
This is the first recipe I have taken from the Internet (cdkitchen.com) so far -- Cheese and Mushroom Stuffed Pork!

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/4-inch thickness
1/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs


Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Stir half the cheese and the lemon pepper seasoning into cooled mushroom mixture; spread 1/3 cup mixture onto each chicken breast. Fold chicken lengthwise in half; secure each with 2 wooden picks.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; dip chicken into butter and roll in crumbs. Place in lightly greased shallow baking dish or pie plate; drizzle with remaining melted butter.
Bake in preheated 450 degrees F oven 20 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove wooden picks before serving.


This was my first time cooking with mushrooms, and I believe my third time cooking pork. It went much better than expected! I was in a huge hurry though! I lost track of time and before I knew it, our neighbor was due to arrive in an hour! Yikes! So the pictures aren't very good.


I was presently surprised with the mushrooms. I thought they'd be...icky to prepare but they're not! Very easy and delicious actually.

Enjoy this picture because in my haste to snap it, I dropped my iPhone in the pan. All is well though!


Right before closing the oven. You have to make sure the meat is flattened enough. I don't have a dough roller, so I used a potato masher.

I do not like how this picture came out, but again, I was in a rush. 

 I had leftover sweet potatoes, so I used that as the side. I also served homemade spinach dip. I'll post that recipe with my next post.
This was actually pretty good! It had a very Olive Garden taste to it, so if you're like me and you love Olive Garden, you will love this dish! I wish I made more, but unfortunately only one per person. They were easy and fast enough to make more than three though.

Taste: 9. I would add a little olive oil next time. Otherwise, it had a very enjoyable taste. They went over really well with Rory and our neighbor. 
Simplicity: 9. They were pretty easy to whip up, and that's saying a lot since I was in a hurry. The veggies are easy to chop and sautee, and stuffing the pork was very easy. They cooked in less than thirty minutes.
Overall: I found that this is a great meal to cook in a hurry! It's definitely one to remember on a school night when I want to cook something yummy and fast. They tasted fancy, and there wasn't much to them! Clean-up was easy too, and I love that.
Last night I made stuffed bell peppers, but dinner is almost ready so I can't write another post. My sister is making us dinner tonight. Chicken Parmesan! And tomorrow is Thanksgiving so no dinner then! We're having dinner at my in-laws. I'm bringing my Apple Sweet Potatoes and Spinach Artichoke dip. Last night I cooked Stuffed Bell Peppers, and I'm looking forward to posting about it. 
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment