Thursday, November 29, 2012

Everybody's Favorite Hamburger Pie (Day 6)

And yes it was! Okay, so I only cooked it for me and Rory, but I'm sure it's a dish that anyone could enjoy. This dish was another first for me: mashed potatoes. I know! Mashed potatoes are so basic, that you'd figure any 21-year-old would have made them at least once. Well, that was my first time and it was nothing. I wanted to make hamburger pie (or as it is more commonly known as shepherd's pie) because it felt like a comfort food and a holiday food. After we finished eating, we decorated our tree. I know it sounds weird, but this dish complimented tree decorating for some reason.

I left the A1 sauce out because we didn't have any.
I had the veggies boiling a little before I started to brown the beef.

The pie right before going into the oven.

I served it with dressing to give it more of a holiday twist.

 It was very filling and very great! Next time I would add way more cheese to the top of the potatoes and maybe chives. We ate the leftovers for dinner the next night and it may have been better. We mixed it with some sour cream. Yum!
Taste: 8. More cheese and sour cream may have bumped up the score, but it was very good. I feel like there should have been another vegetable in there besides green beans, but I can't figure it out. I should have chopped the green beans. As I said, this was my first experience with mashed potatoes and I added milk, buttermilk ranch and seasoning. I didn't want to overwhelm the potatoes so I took it easy, but they could have used more ranch and seasoning.
Simplicity: 9. Pretty dang easy considering the outcome! The only thing you have to do is mash the potatoes and brown the beef. The rest takes care of itself which I love. It came together really nicely.
Overall: A great meal to serve during the week, and great leftovers for lunch/dinner the next day. I'm keeping this recipe in mind for when school starts for sure.
Since I'm getting backed up on my posts, I'm going to double-post and write about my enchiladas from two nights ago, and then I'm going to get started on my chicken broccoli casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment