Thursday, December 6, 2012

The 'Daunting' Lasagna (Day 9)

I love Italian food for two reasons: it's hearty and easy to make. One Italian recipe that always made me look the other way was lasagna. All of the layers! But yesterday I was feeling pretty gutsy and I decided to give it a go. Let me tell you, it was not that scary!
Even though the recipe takes up a whole page, don't let it scare you. By the way, I left the cheddar cheese out and stuck with mozzarella and Parmesan.

The beef, tomato sauce, tomato paste and herbs right before simmering for half and hour. I buy beef with a decent amount of fat, and I think that adds to the overall flavor.

I am not a fan of cottage cheese, but you can't make lasagna without it. I'll admit though, the sight of it mixed with egg was putting me off for awhile.

In the middle of layering the lasagna. It's actually kind of fun to do, at least for me because it was unlike anything I've ever done with food.


The outcome. Sorry, no picture of the serving. We were starving and we dove right in.
A-maz-ing! Really. We each went back for seconds, and we devoured the leftovers for lunch today, and we're having them for dinner. There's just enough left. I wanted to serve it with an Italian salad, but then I realized that neither of us care too much for salad and honestly, this lasagna holds its own very well.

Taste: 10. Loved it! I want to make this again for when we have company because there was so much of it! And it only took an hour to an hour and a half. . .a lot less than I expected. And I only needed a skillet, mixing bowl and baking dish. Love that.
Simplicity: 8. It's still a lasagna so it wasn't instant, but honestly, it was not that hard to make. It's just a little on the time consuming side.
Overall, I loved it and I'm really looking forward to making it again for company or when we need a dinner and a good lunch the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment