Thursday, December 6, 2012

Comforting Chicken Casserole (Day 8)

When I asked Rory what new things he wanted me to learn, he said casseroles. Honestly, I never knew of anyone who actually made casseroles until I moved to Idaho when I was eighteen. Before then, I thought it was just some rumor that housewives baked casseroles. But I found a chicken broccoli casserole that seemed easy enough for a first try.

I think I'm just going to stop trying to get these flipped because nothing seems to work.
Everything going at once. I personally like to boil fresh broccoli because it's the fastest way, and you're guaranteed good broccoli every time.

Before adding the chicken and sauce.
This recipe yielded a lot of the sauce because more people are meant to eat this than two. There was some leftover, and looking back, I should have used it all. It had a pretty good taste!

 So was the casserole awesome? Eh. It wasn't my favorite. A casserole is a casserole. It's hard for it to measure up to enchiladas or apricot chicken, that's for sure. However, it was filling and it had a certain warm comfort to it. It's that dish you give to a member in your church when they're going through a hard time. That's a good thing though. Now I know how to whip something up that saves well and cooks quickly.
Taste: 7. It was just so-so. Nothing extraordinary while not being bland. I feel like it needed something more though, I just can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe more broccoli or maybe a side dish was needed. I served it on its own because it seemed filling enough (and it was), it was late and we wanted to watch a movie while eating.
Simplicity: 8. It was pretty fast and easy. My only gripe was that I had to use a lot of dishes for it, and the outcome wasn't really worth all of the cleanup.
Overall, it obviously wasn't my favorite. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. It just didn't quite do it for me. But like I said, a quick, comforting meal on a cold night.

No comments:

Post a Comment